How to start this post? Well, in truth I am not too sure. I am not a writer, I am definitely not a writer. If I am honest I feel a little bit out of my depth, I am not very good at grammar or punctuation & will sometimes (ok, most of the time) write far more than I need too. Knowing this please don’t judge me. Anyway, what I do know is that I like to make things, create things, be inspired and to inspire others & so I decided to start this blog to show you some of the things I have myself upcycled or created.
I want to show you how you can take average every day items and make them into “Wow!” Items. I want to show you how easy it can be to breathe new life into those run down items you were going to throw away. And finally I just really hope to inspire you.
The best part about all this is that you don’t have to be an expert & nor does it need to cost the earth. With a bit of imagination and not too much effort you will hopefully be able to renovate most of those items that you were hot tailing toward the trash bag.
You never know you might just start seeing everyday items in a brand new way 😊
So all this leads me onto my latest project…..
A Pirate Tavern fit for any little budding Buccaneer
For a while now I have been wanting to get Lincoln a playhouse for the garden but they can be a bit pricey so I have been a bit reluctant to buy one. Then one day, as if by magic, my fiancée Mike called me from his work to say a colleague had offered him one for free!! (I know right!!! Whaaaaa?!)
He sent me over a pic & to be honest I had said yes before I even received the image!
The house had originally been purchased when the couples eldest daughter was 5 years old, she was now 16! So two things were definite, firstly they certainly no longer needed it & secondly it had obviously not been used for a long while, well apart from the many wonderful beasties taking up residence there🐌🐛🐜(if there was a spider emoticon I would be filling the post up with them & big ones too, just to give some indication of what I encountered).
Anywho considering the house was 11 years old it really really wasn’t in too bad a shape, sure it was slightly warped in places and yes it needed a bloody good scrub down but overall it was in pretty good nick.
Once I knew I was getting the house I immediately started to google things like ‘transformed playhouses’ and ‘what type of paint can I use on plastic?’
I found a few images which were inspiring but not what I was really looking for and some articles about plastic paint but nothing overly helpful so in the end I just hot footed it to my local DIY store. I imagined what I wanted the end result to be & I went from there.
Whilst in Homebase I found Rust-Oleum All Surface Paint . It can be used on plastic & it comes in a variety of colours 😁 very good news for me!!!
Now, this paint isn’t overly cheap so I would very much recommend that you make absolutely sure of the colour you want first before buying a whole tub as it could end up being quite costly.
On the flip side to this though, although a bit pricey it does go a fair way.
I bought one of the large tubs for £19.99, ‘Lagoon’ (seemed fitting) for the main house & I only used half a tub (on the outside only). For the other parts (the roof, windows & doors) I got two small tubs at £8.99 each. ‘Dark Grey’ for the roof & ‘Espresso Brown’ for the door & windows.
Once I had purchased all my new painting goodies
I ran home (ok that’s a lie, I can’t run!) I made my way home &
Then I began ……
After giving the play house a good scrub down, and dishing out tiny eviction notices to my new friends🐌🐛, I left the house over night to dry out.
The next morning armed with my brushes I was eager to get to work. I took a towel out and made sure all surfaces that would be painted were dried thoroughly.
I removed the roof & put it to one side and then I started to paint the outside walls of the house.
The paint is actually very nice to use and goes on smoothly but it is quite thin so just be aware it will drip.
Whilst that was drying I painted the roof. I had a little break inbetween (I tried to have a snooze but the crazy toddler wouldn’t allow it!) and when I came back the roof was dry enough to replace.
So with everything touch dry I decided to start painting the window shutters and doors thus making my little
house tavern complete.
It literally was as simple as that. In less than one day the playhouse went from shabby cottage to pirate tavern. Arrrrrrrrrrr ⚓️
Oohh yes….. & finally ….
For my Finishing Touches ….
(It’s all about the detail Dahhhhrrrling!)
I had made the little pirate flag the night before, just hand sewn appliqué, from a couple of bits of scrap fabric I had mooching about. I also used one of Mikes bamboo sticks, leftover from gardening, as a pole.
The lantern I had laying around the house, it was cheap from a local supermarket & was originally cream. I used some of the ‘Dark Grey’ left over from the roof & roughly painted it to give it more of a distressed old feel.
I hung it up by using a general screw hook & screwing it directly into the plastic.
So there it is, there you have it! It wasn’t that hard was it?! It was probably harder hearing me waffle on for the last 15 or so minutes!
Just remember, there are plenty of people willing to throw these kinds of playhouses out or even if they are selling them it isn’t generally for much money so if you are willing to put in a little effort and time then I highly recommend the upcycle. That way you aren’t only saving money but you are also making it the way you want it!!! And just look at the final product, it looks brand new and fabulous!
The project in total cost me around £40. That’s the house, the paint & the brushes.
That definitely beats the price tag of £100+ that they retail for.
Anyway, have fun and be sure to follow for more fun projects.
Little Miss Hubble Bubble ❤️ x